Do you find yourself in a rut? You know what I mean. You get up, get dressed, go to work, come home, watch TV, go to bed and repeat. You might enjoy your job and the people you work with but don’t you get tired of the routine? If you didn’t look at a calendar you wouldn’t know what day it is because they all feel the same. I’m not suggesting you need to quit your job or join a cult but there are some simple things you can do to break out of your routine. Here is my list of 5 suggestions. Good luck!
1. Text a friend and say you want to go out. Tell him/her they can pick whatever they want to do and you’ll go along with it – and you won’t whine about it. Let them be free to decide on anything. You might end up playing darts at the local pub, going bowling, showing up at the opera in your jean cutoffs or going for a walk. Hopefully it’s something you haven’t done before. If your friend picks something lame then dump that friend and text a better friend next time!
2. Pick up the latest community college catalog. Most towns offer evening courses at the local college or recreation centre. Close your eyes, start flipping through the pages and sign up for whatever class your finger lands on. You could end up learning how to paint with pastels or how to write calligraphy. You might also end up in a karate class or a 60+ water fitness class. It doesn’t matter! The classes are usually really cheap and you’ll meet other weirdos who also needed an excuse to get out of the house.
3. Make a dream board. This is when you get a bunch of old magazines and start cutting out photos of things you want in your life. It could be a photo of a sailboat or a tropical vacation. Anytime you see something that strikes a chord in your heart cut it out and glue it on to your poster board (oh, I forgot to tell you that you’ll need poster board and glue and sizzors!). Fill the whole board with photos that make you smile and excite you. Now, pick one to focus on and start moving in that direction. It might mean signing up for sailing lessons or getting a weekend job so you can start saving for that tropical vacation. I’m going to assume you already have enough money for the poster board, glue and sizzors.
4. Get an DNA testing kit. You have relatives all over the place and most of them are probably way stranger than you. Maybe one of them owns a castle! One could sleep in their car! There is a whole clan of people out there that know nothing about you and all the mistakes you’ve made in your life. You can contact them and come across as a completely normal and civilized human being. The result might be a few really nice pen-pals or maybe you hit it off enough to make a trip to see one of them (pay special attention to the one who owns a castle). Inviting new people in to your life immediately gets you out of your rut. You have to really focus to keep up appearance so they don’t realize how big a loser you are. That alone will bump up the energy in your life.
5. Change your appearance. Nothing makes you feel differently and shakes up your thinking more than a makeover. This could be new make-up, a new hairstyle, a new hair colour (maybe purple?), a tattoo, a piercing, liposuction, implants (hair implants! what are you thinking of?), or even a new wardrobe. Anything you can do to change your outward appearance will effect you on the inside. You don’t need to spend a lot of money either. Hit the 2nd hand stores and pick up some of the clothes more successful people got tired of. You can get hair dye for $5 and you can buy you’re own tattoo gun on eBay for $50. Start making some small changes to your image and have fun with it. Don’t worry about what other people might think either. It’s your life and your body. There is nothing wrong with having a little fun with yourself (hey, keep your mind out of the gutter!). Unveil a new look to your fiends and coworkers and it will re-set your brain to a whole new pattern and help push you out of your rut.
Those are just 5 simple things you can do tonight to get yourself out of your rut. So, what are you waiting for? Turn off the TV, get out of those sweat pants and put on some proper clothes and take the first step! It doesn’t matter whether your attempts are a huge success or complete failure. This is not about winning or losing. Your goal is to get out of you rut and shake things up a little. Come on! Give it a shot. I dare ya’!